Wednesday 10 July 2013

Real Life Diving Adventures - Equipment Malfunction Peril!

A common mistake that many people make when they ask me about what I do for a living is to assume that, just because my job involves a fairly large amount of diving, I must have lots of exciting stories to share. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. Surveying commercial fish populations is in reality no less mundane than any office job, except that the office is a under 15m of water and instead of a suit and tie I wear a BCD and fins (although I would dive in a suit and tie if I had one).


However, from time to time, things do get a bit hairy out there on the reef, and it is these moments that I now wish to share, so that others can learn from my experiences. These are real life diving adventures, and I will pull no punches in my retelling of what are often dramatic and terrifying events, although some names have been changed at the bequest of those involved and their families.

Equipment Malfunction Peril!

It was a clear, sunny day as we headed out into Chole Bay to conduct a routine reef health assessment. A light breeze played about us as we kitted up on the deck of the dive boat and the mood was relaxed and light hearted as we conducted our gear and buddy checks. We were to be diving in three teams of two, carrying out point counts of key fish species at a range of depths across sheltered patch reef near the centre of the bay. The team were all fairly experienced, having carried out similar survey work on the reef for the past few months and nothing was out of the ordinary, except that I was wearing a new long sleeved rash vest that I'd found in a bin round the back of the dive equipment store. It smelt a bit musty, but I'd been feeling the cold increasing towards the end of our most recent dives, and a bit of a whiff seemed a small price to pay for the warmth and comfort that this spandex top was certain to provide. I wasn't sure if it belonged to anyone, but it was in the bin anyway, so I assumed that no one would miss it.

We donned our gear and entered the water, utilising the backwards roll technique. The team then split into buddy pairs and spread out across the reef to carry out underwater visual fish censuses at a variety of depths. My buddy and I descended and reached our first survey point with no problems. We then commenced a ten minute point count, recording the species and size of individual fish from key species as they swam within our field of vision. After ten minutes, the survey was complete, and we moved onto the next site at the slightly shallower depth of 8 metres.

As we approached the site, I realised that something was going very wrong with the dive. I attempted to move my right arm, so as to unclip the dive slate on which I was to record the next set of data from my Buoyancy Control Device (BCD), but found that my movement was a little bit inhibited. I looked down to my wrist and, to my horror, realised that the sleeve of my new rash vest had caught on the zip of the pocket on the right hand side of my BCD. Not only that, but the zip had jammed slightly, making it a bit difficult to free my wrist

My first instinct was to try and tear my arm free, but doing so would risk ripping the spandex of the rash vest around the sleeve. Considering that this rash vest didn't even belong to me, that just wasn't an option. I struggled to remain calm and think rationally. Although I've been diving for a number of years, I could feel fear building up inside me. I was well aware that an equipment malfunction at depth, no matter how minor, could put not only my life, but also that of my dive buddy at serious risk. In an attempt to free the trapped vest sleeve, I tried pulling the BCD zip open, but this just made things worse as the spandex sleeve became further entangled in the zip mechanism.

I battled to remain calm and attempt to figure out a way out of this situation. Immediately, I tried to signal to my buddy that I was in trouble, but with my right arm a little bit trapped by the BCD zip, this quickly proved to be difficult. I tried to signal to my buddy, but I just couldn't get his attention with my right arm pinned as it was. Fortunately, my dive instructor had taught me how to give signals with both my left and right hands, and with my left hand still free to move without obstruction, I was able to warn my buddy that I was in trouble. I gave the “Problem” signal, using my left hand, and then pointed at the zip of my BCD.

I saw fear flash behind my buddy's eyes as he registered the seriousness of our situation. My buddy was also an experienced diver, but for a brief moment I feared that he too would become overwhelmed by the enormity of my rash vest nightmare and begin to panic.Fortunately for us both, he mastered his fear and swam cautiously towards me, taking care not to allow my awful situation to place him in any further danger.

Calmly, and without hesitation, he reached out and pulled the zip shut a little bit. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Surely this was madness? Would closing the zip not make the problem worse?! I signalled desperately to my buddy, trying to stop him from potentially killing us both, but he ignored my frantic gesturing. It was then that I looked down and realised that, by closing the zip slightly, he had in fact realigned the two sides of the zip, allowing it to open without problem and freeing the trapped sleeve of my rash vest.

Tentatively, I moved my right arm. Success! I was released from my temporary shackles and able to move my arm about again. I sighed with relief and signalled thanks to my buddy. His calm, quick action had saved both our lives. After such drama, the only safe course of action was to abort the dive, and we both made a controlled emergency swimming ascent, rising to the surface whilst breathing out to avoid lung over expansion injury or decompression illness.

We clambered back aboard the boat, both overwhelmed by the desperate situation that we had found ourselves in just minutes before. I was furious at myself for risking both our lives with untested and unsafe equipment. That was certainly not a mistake I'd make again. Upon return to the shore, I chucked the rash vest back in the bin, a fitting place for such a dangerous piece of kit.


My buddy and I both laughed it off afterwards, but deep down we both knew how close to the end we'd come during that dive. To look death in the eye as we both did that day was a truly humbling experience, and one that I'd certainly not care to repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment